12 May 2006

They Might Be Giants at Exit/In, Nashville, on 5.5.06

I am embarassed to say that, prior to this, I had never been to a TMBG show. My friend Lyndsey won free tickets and invited me along. Hands down, this was the best show I have seen in a long time.

The opener was Michael Leviton, playing a ukelele and singing some pretty hilariously skewered anti-love songs (think the Mountain Goats meet Tiny Tim) - and the crowd was right with him. The place was packed even for the opener set and yet I still had a lot of room to move and didn't feel crowded the whole night.

The show that TMBG put on pleased me especially because they dipped into a lot of their back catalog. The only disappointment for me was "Rhythm Section Want Ad" (an absolute jump around favorite of mine) which felt like it dragged a little (ironically, the drummer looked tired and like he was struggling to keep up while playing it). I was introduced to several new songs (because I am lame and don't have a lot of their newer stuff) and one in particular, "Dr. Worm," flat knocked me out.

So Lyndsey and I danced and sang along and had a great time. Highly recommended.

Categories:

No comments: