03 May 2006

Hurts to Laugh / Xperimental Dental School at the Basement 5.1.06

I know Eric from Hurts to Laugh from Baja Burrito (my favorite burrito joint in town). This is the second time I have seen them, and they have developed both a coherent stage presence and quite a good following in the space between my two appearances at their shows. I enjoyed them last time, I really enjoyed them this time.

They have some stage gimmicks that they do - somewhere between audience participation and a self-help group. On another group this might be annoying, but here the chops are solid and the tunes are catchy (and a bit dark. I like dark and catchy) and did I mention that they brought a hibachi and had a pre-show grill-out for the fans? Class.

So I recommend 'em. Go see 'em.

An unexpected surprise was the opener for HtL, Experimental Dental School - a band out of the Bay Area on tour in the South. I'd call 'em a mix between Enon and the Shaking Ray Levis, with touches of Dead Kennedys, Fred Schneider, and Oingo Boingo thrown in for good measure. The songs are intricate and there's a very prominent organ which makes it all sound like a carnival gone wrong. Mucho energy and very tight stage presence. I'd go see 'em again in a heartbeat, and I bought the CD.

Categories:

No comments: