14 December 2009

Weapons of Mass Distraction

Trust me. I have dropped a name or two in my day.

Like many academics, I suffer from an almost indescribable inferiority complex. If the world's economies aren't enough to make you feel irrelevant in your life's work, your students are always there to seal the deal. The fear that no one, but no one, will care that I am breathing has, on occasion, driven me to some gauche behavior. And, I mean, come on. I have some really interesting friends. Lots of them are quite accomplished in their fields. Several of them are famous. A handful are really famous (and one, admittedly, is infamous).

So, on those occasions when I am weak from my fears of irrelevance, I have dropped a name or two, or stretched my own importance, thanks to the borrowed importance of my more accomplished friends and acquaintances.

I am reminding you of this, dear Reader, not because I am particularly proud of this behavior, but rather to establish my bona fides for the invective that is to follow.

Some of my friends and acquaintances are in the military, or loosely associated therewith. Thinking back to the build up to the most recent Iraq war, I recall many of those acquaintances and friends taking me to task for my hesitancy about, you know, invading. What I recall hearing, more than once, was a strange form of name dropping that, I think, is akin to what I was describing in myself above.

When I would argue against invading from the evidence I had (the evidence that was available in the media and through my researches beyond the limitations of the American media), these jolly ol' Jingoes would get a knowing look on their face and a sage twinkle in their eyes. These old Hawks, mind you, are ancillary. They are factotums. They are sideliners now, and armchair warriors at best. Yet they wanted me to know that they were in the know. And they knew something I didn't.

"Well, I can't say much now. But I've been talking to [fill in the blank], and he's close to Colin Powell, you know, and he said...."

The upshot of what "he" said, in these cases, was that there was a whole lot of intelligence that was simply too sensitive to leak to the media, but if we (us common folk) ever knew the full extent of it, we'd be demanding ol' Saddam's head on a pike and thanking Dubya and Co. for invading when they did. The implication, in other words, was that the evidence I had was irrelevant, in light of the evidence that I didn't have.

Now, of course, it turns out they actually didn't know something I didn't, after all. They wanted to feel important and in the know. They (and lots of other folks) bought into a culture that was fed off equal parts fear and self-aggrandizement. That latter factor, I think, was what gave these Hawks (some of them quite well placed and influential - hey, I told you I know important people, didn't I?) the impetus to take the little crumbs of rumor they had and talk like they had fat seed cakes of certainty.

Let them eat cake, indeed. And we did. And why not? After all, "they knew something we didn't." A-yup. And we should have known better. Take it from one old name dropper to another.

But if you don't believe me, perhaps you'll believe one of the knowiest in the know fellas in the game, Tony Blair, himself. Yesterday he pretty much admitted that the whole WMD justification was a pretense, and that he would "still have thought it right to remove" Hussein regardless of whether there were WMD's or not.

This has led a prominent international lawyer, Phillipe Sands, to remark that Blair may now be open to war crimes prosecution, given that he joined into the war, and the justificatory posturing that preceded it, "irrespective of the facts on the ground, and irrespective of the legality" of invasion in light of the lack of positive evidence.

There's a full story on this developing fiasco here.

Tony Blair, however, is not our problem. He merely is a good, close friend to our problem. He had tea with our problem just last week, in fact, and they had such a fine time, and...

Let me venture this: there is a deep inferiority complex at the heart of this nation. It has been endemic for generations, and it became epidemic in the last ten years. From Enron to the housing bubble to the credit crunch, we as a nation are running amok, from one fiction to the next, trying our best to feel relevant and important without the substance of fact or character to bolster us. The names we are dropping now, however, are names like "patriotism," "freedom," "security," "opportunity," and, yes, "hope."

These are the names of acquaintances whom these days we barely know. However, if we drop the names often enough, and broadly enough, everyone will assume we're still all old chums, won't they? And if those listening to us are convinced by our associations, then that's close enough to being real, isn't it, to fill the hole?

Sure it is, chum. That's the ticket. Take it from one old name dropper to another.

4 comments:

Alec said...

Thank you for flagging this up. So few of the people who were supposedly in the know (with the exception of Colin Powell) have ever said 'sorry' let alone been held to account for what was clearly duplicity in the leadup to the war. In fact, many of them still seem to be taken seriously by our news media.

It is also imperative - in light of the 'but Saddam was evil' defence - that we not lose sight of the *other* (set of) war crime(s), which had nothing to do with the justification of that operation: the total and wilful lack of planning and effort to safeguard a civilian population that is called for in the Geneva conventions.

This, coupled with the total disregard for actually administering and rebuilding a country we knew we would be destroying has led to tens of thousands of deaths that no urgent necessity of invasion (which did not exist anyway) can justify.

Unknown said...

Some interesting points. I don't know of anyone who was name dropping intel. I can tell you that I was sitting in Kuwait waiting to cross the berm wearing my chem suit. We fully expected to get slimed. Why didn't it happen? There are a multitude of reasons:

1.Iraqi Commanders lying to their paranoid, old ruler who had a habit of whacking senior officers

2.Materials transported out of country? Possible, but I don't have the secret squirrel access to argue that one and I won't pretend that I do

3.Everyone's favorite answer - There were no chemical weapons. Let me hit this one in detail.

On my first trip I processed the casualty report for a bunch of guys who were exposed to a substance that was initially identified as nerve agent. It was later reported to be a pesticide. You can probably find the original news story if you look hard enough. The amount and concentration really pushed the envelope of legitimate materials that have dual use as weapons, especially considering that the drums where found in proximity to an artillery battery with a stockpile of unfilled hollow shells.

Second tour - Increasing frequency of IEDs using chemical rounds as the base charge. You can also find these stories if you look. Thankfully, the nerver agent shells don't mix right if they just blow up as opposed to spinning, arming and then blowing up.

Lastly, since the Government of Iraq has now officially declared themselves as a chemical weapons possessor state as of a few weeks ago I can address Muthanna. There was, and still is large amount of bad stuff in the Muthanna complex. I think the UN made most of the details public after the Iraqi declaration last month. The site is extremely hazardous because it contains checmical weapons and we bombed it in 2003. How much of that stockpile is viable now? How much was viable in 2003?

You may or may not be reading this by now. I am not trying to change your mind necessarily, but the continued stark assertions that there were no WMDs and that everybody knew it have gone too far. The reality is not black and white.

Did you really get your political philosophy from a Billy Bragg song ;)

Stay happy, enjoy the holiday and hopefully the libation of your choice.

Jeff

dault said...

Jeff -

Touche'! But as Billy Bragg himself once sang, "Just remember, there are two sides to every story..." :) Thank you for adding some needed gray to the overly-contrasted narrative I put forth in the post.

My view from the relative safety of "over here" is very different from your experiences there on the ground, and I appreciate very much your corrective to my invective.

Thank you for adding this to the discussion. What you saw carries a good deal more weight for me than what I saw on the news and heard from our leaders. My intention with the post was less to dispute the "facts on the ground" than it was to highlight that, for Blair, at least, it seemed as if those facts were ultimately irrelevant to the decisions that got made.

Like you, I am interested in avoiding the squandering of the lives of American servicemen and servicewomen. On that matter, Alec also raises some good points in his comment. There was a bad mixture of rhetoric and ill-planning leading up to and following the prosecution of the war, and a lot of very dedicated young men and women got caught in the middle of that. It is important to me that those lives not be laid down solely for the purposes of corporations, rhetoric, and propaganda. On deciding that point, however, I defer respectfully to you and the others that were there. If you tell me it was proper to be there, I will believe you.

I had not heard about the Muthanna admissions, and I will follow up on that.

Most of all, I am glad you made it back safe, and I toast the health of you and yours happily, with the libation of my choice! Merry Christmas -

Cheers,

Dd.

Unknown said...

I didn't eventhink that "Alexander" might be Alec.

The initial Iraqi declaration came out in March. The UN commission releases more info every few months.

I hope I didn't come across too strong.

As we awaited the invasion we were all walking around at MOPP level 2, meaning we were wearing the chem suits and rubber overboots. We carried the mask and gloves. About 7 days before stuff started we had a drill. I guess somebody decided they wanted to take one last shower before the war. Iweas sitting in a concrete revetment with my mask on listening thethe "Giant Voice" alarm when I saw a soldier wearing nothing but his gas mask and some suds running from the shower trailer towards the tents. It is a vision that is forever imprinted in my memory. I laughed so hard I almost passed out. This guy could have made the gate to gate streak with no problem.