08 August 2009

medias in res

We (Kira and I) are in the midst of our first major (as in major major) move. We have moved across Nashville twice already, and so we had thought we had this stuff down pat. Not so. Welcome to Memphis.

To make a long story short, we got flim-flammed by the moving company, and the price we were quoted on the front end was less than half what we ended up paying on the back end (we're in the midst of dealing with that). Next, when we arrived, the washing machine we asked the rental company to install was not installed (though it had been three weeks since the request had been made). Worse, though the air conditoning "worked," in the sense that the units made noise, they barely blew air through the ducts, and the air that came through was close to 90 degrees (I measured it with my nifty thermometer). It is August in Memphis, so outside temperatures are topping 100 degrees Farenheit, and I am writing this from a motel room (in other words, we are in the midst, as well, of dealing with that). I am promised the air conditioning technician will be out "first thing Monday." Hope springs eternal.

When the washer finally was installed, late yesterday, we came home to find that the installation somehow had knocked a door knob clean off the door. On Monday, I will phone in a work order with the rental company to deal with that.

Worst of all, Kira still has three weeks of her chaplain residency left in Nashville, which means that last night I had to say goodbye to her for much longer than I would like. This is the hardest part. I am glad that she is not here to suffer the heat and the headaches of making our new home a home, but I miss her fiercely. I cannot wait for this month to be over, and to get back to normal life, or at least a "normal-er" life.

I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.

No comments: